Saturday, January 17, 2009

Using the Big Yellow Eraser

I've got lots of issues...with my layout. I should say the space my layout is in, is what I have issue with as it dictates all that goes on in there. Naturally that leads to compromise, and change often. That's why I keep my bench work cheap and simple and reusable. Whenever I work on anything, where I am making something, I proceed the same way as if I were drawing; if what I'm doing isn't working out I tear up that sheet of paper, or erase it. With bench work, my DeWalt screw gun is my eraser. It makes quick work of undoing what was done.

My recipe for bench work is, as seen above, not much...a 1x4 pine frame, 1/8" Masonite covered with 1" rigid foam insulation. As you can see most of the 1x4 is on it's second or third shift as I reuse nearly every piece I can from previous layout incarnations. Even the screws.

Last night, during our podcast with Scott, Jimmy and Dave we spoke about the possibility of my tearing up-giving up - this two layout idea....just not feasible if I want to get the most out of the space I have if I want to successfully operate my present day layout. So, seconds after the podcast ended I slapped a fresh battery into my drill and down came 12 feet of bench work reserved for my 1950's layout...2 hours later,12 feet of bench work was added to the Green Belt. All that remains to have continuous running will be a three foot section that will have to drop down in front of the door for access to the room.

Now I have to see what will become of this new found realestate, the main section of this new benchwork is 24"x 96". I 'd like to fit in a small yard and at least two or three industries. For that I'll have to hit the drafting table and get out the small eraser.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very good, very inspiring post. After reading your first post on challenging us to be a bit more green in our hobby, I pondered how I may do the same. There's several pieces of wood I can reuse, along with most, if not all of my wiring (if nothing else, the short pieces of wiring can be turned in to trees, or feeder wires, etc) from my 4'x8' layout, on the new one.

I would say this is the year for renewable energy and conservation. Even Military Sealift Command hired an Energy Conservation "Czar" today and his big focus will be to find ways to burn less fossil fuels on our ships and ensure more-complete combustion, with less pollutants in to the environment.

Thanks for planting the seeds of goin' green!