Monday, January 19, 2009

Striping Roads...



I've been attempting to keep all my roads to scale, not compromising the widths like I had in previous efforts...correct width roads (12' per single lane, 2' for shoulders) really enhance the scale of things as your eye is familiar with it, and when it's incorrect, you can tell something's off. Besides, they don't take up that much room.
Line striping is done by masking the road with painters tape( the 2" wide tape I used is excessive but that's what was on hand). Only the center mask needs to be cut, about 1/16" wide. Then, I use a yellow acrylic paint to color the lines. It's important to brush in the directon of the tape so you eliminate any chance of bleedng under the tape. Unintentionally, I found that using an inexpensive acrylic paint works well , the lines instantly appear faded.
The background painted against the wall is temporary, until I figure out what will work best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks very good Doug. When will we be seeing your DVD, made with Scotty Mason? *LOL*

Seriously, I'll be coming back to this come summer, when my benchwork is done & I can hopefully (and quickly) lay the track and work on the roads. Did you find it easier to do this before doing any other scenery?