Sunday, February 21, 2010

Home Depot in HO


I had to get past the truck stop debacle. I couldn't leave it installed on the layout, not even temporarily - it's been removed for good. At the time it seemed like a quick fix and I thought I could make it work...anyway, the globe keeps spinning. Not a big deal, in fact it motivated me to get going on a background flat of the Home Depot.

I'd been wanting to build this for a while. In the beginning I thought that if I were going to model the modern era, I'd like to add structures that are seldom modeled. The Home Depot is an obvious one, and it certainly leaves no question as to what era it is.

It was a simple build, the walls are matte board painted with a sand textured paint. The doors and windows are from Rix. I made up the gutters and lights from styrene. I laser cut the Home Depot signage. I have some more details to add; some conduit, electrical boxes...I 'll also add a dumpster, pallets, etc...I'll have to drive around behind my local Depot and see what's there. I'll be adding more scenery once the model is finished. I glued it to a masonite base, once done I'll glue it down and add a chain link fence at the top of the embankment.

It certainly was a fun build. I plan on modeling another big box store to the left of the bridge; just not sure which one. Walmart? Target? Fortunately research is just minutes away...


No comments: