Friday, August 29, 2008

H.T. Gordon's

Above is a very cropped, very unrevealing photo of our next limited run kit, H.T. Gordon's. For the moment it's top secret. We always prefer a little anticipation before releasing a kit, so in the vault it stays. (Also what you are seeing is the only part of the structure that's finished.) I can tell you it's a structure we've been sketching for a couple of years now and was just waiting for the right time and right industry that would suit it.

At one point it was going to be a Pine Tar Soap factory, but the design for Decker's was being drawn at the same time, and that was that. So I have been sitting on this for three years or so, modifying this wall, changing that window arrangement until it just looks right.

I recently built a mock up of the entire structure and ended up staring at it for three weeks, looking at angles, views, what worked and what didn't. Mostly proportion is what I look at the most; balancing elements like exterior stairs, building add-ons, roof pitch...and including a variety of building elements. At this time I'm also sketching the site plan, how the building is going to be arranged on the diorama, what kind of setting...water? Main Street? I still don't know.

As I move on to the next stage of building I'll post some more pics of H.T. Gordon's.

No comments: